Tuesday, November 25, 2008

My Take On the NEASC Report

I'm going to go out on a limb and tackle a topic I am not all that familiar with. But, I think maybe a layman's explanation could be good thing.

First things first.

Rubric: Generally rubrics specify the level of performance expected for several levels of quality. These levels of quality may be written as different ratings (e.g., Excellent, Good, Needs Improvement) or as numerical scores (e.g., 4, 3, 2, 1) which are then added up to form a total score which then is associated with a grade (e.g., A, B, C, etc).

Rubrics can help students and teachers define "quality". Rubrics can also help students judge and revise their own work before handing in their assignments.

A Rubric should not be confused with a Rubik, which is that colored square we have all wasted countless hours on as children.

I offer the definition because it is used a lot in this report, and I had no real idea what a rubric was until my third-grader started coming home with them this year. So I imagine, they are a new concept to many of you who do not have children in school.

*******************************************

One thing I do have experience with is audits. There are two kinds. The first, I define as the "stealth audit", these occur without notice and are generally aimed at catching a specific deficiency in a specific area of work, or work related procedures. The "Stealth Audit" is not designed to outline long term goals or areas of improvement, but rather to address an immediate problem.

The second type of audit is the one that you know is coming. Both the auditor and the audited have time to prepare information and verify practices. Generally the audit will consist of direct observation of the employees or process being audited, a review of documentation outlining procedures and practices in place, along with areas that need improvement, and always has a broad range of topics that will be covered. This type of audit, to be affective, will vary rarely be full of praise. The reason for this is because if it was, the audited would most likely wipe his/her brow and say; "We did pretty good, there were a few things that need to be addressed, but those aren't so important." More likely than not, those things will never get addressed, at the very least things will likely remain at status quo.

Instead, a good audit will outline and acknowledge the positive, but it will put a greater emphasis on the areas that need improvement. A lighter version of "build you up to tear you down" approach. This ensures that you are motivated to correct your mistakes, and fosters an urge to exceed expectations and continually grow.

To me, that was what the Neasc did (an audit) and the outcome was what you would expect for a system that is performing well, but does need areas of improvement.

***************************************************

Not really knowing the state of affairs at Seekonk High 6 years ago, my overall interpretation of the NEASC report is that Seekonk High is in a state of transition. Great progress has been made, but there is still room to grow. It's sounds like the greatest need (and it has just been re-implemented) is for department heads to be brought back, because it sounds like the biggest hurtle that needs to be overcome is the lack of uniformity within and across departments. Obviously that cannot be achieved without someone at the top of each department affirming a specific method of teaching.

**************************************************

An interesting statistic that was pointed out was the the vast improvement of students MCAS scores. 79% of students scored "advanced or proficient" which was well ahead of the states total average of 69%.

However they were below state and national averages in SAT scoring (and falling) which the NEASC explains as "the overall trend in Massachusetts".

Unscientifically I would say this adds fuel to the fire about he ineffectiveness of the MCAS. At the very least it adds to the discussion.

****************************************************

One thing that annoyed me throughout the report, was the NEASC's frequent mentioning of "Community lack of Funding" or "Community lack of Support". As if they were trying to shift at least some of the blame for the schools deficiency's on the residents.

There is no doubt that there is a money problem for the schools. There is a money problem for the entire town, and services and programs on both sides are lacking in key areas.

This is where we need to start getting creative when it comes to money management.

One thing that sticks out to me like a sore thumb is the technology aspect. Every year when I go into my sons class I see computers in there, and I am pretty sure they are Apple's. I am also pretty sure I have read that the High School has purchased Apples/iMacs as opposed to PC's. I do not see the logic in that. You can get a PC for the fraction of the cost that you can get an apple computer. Not to mention 9 out of 10 times in the real world, these students are going to be working with Windows based PC's...not iMacs.

Not to just pick on the schools, I am sure there are similar changes that can be made on the town side.

We just have to get creative.

************************************************

One paradox, from a philosophical standpoint.

Throughout the report it was emphasized how critical thinking and problem solving was a core criteria of the curriculum.

It occurred to me how much that developmental trait is stunted in our kids, particularly in their early years. The new trend has been that we don't want to make our children feel inadequate at anything. So we tell them not to hit back when they are picked on by a bully. We don't keep score in the baseball games...heck...they don't even strike out anymore. But this curbs their ability to deal with disappointment, to learn that they will not be the best at everything they do, but then again even the best will fail at times. They do not develop the skill of independent conflict resolution, which I think is at the core critical thinking. You have to improvise, and analyze, try and fail, to figure out what works.

Instead we shelter them until we are 18 and send them off into the wolves den that is the real world.

True Story....

I went to a private school in the 6th grade. It was small so we had recess with the entire school that went up to the 8th grade. I was short, skinny, and not particularly athletic.

There was an 8th grader, who for some reason unknown to me, decided that he did not like me, or that I was easy prey. I was constantly pushed, heckled during basketball games, or made fun of in some other manner.

One day while playing a basketball game, this 8th grader who was on the opposing team charged me when i got the ball and pushed me has hard as he could out of the way. Having decided enough was enough; I marched up to him with purpose and promptly game him the hardest punch in the face I could muster...hit him right in the cheak with the palm side of my fist. I was immediately grabbed from behind by his buddy and lined up for a pummeling. Luckily I had a bigger buddy who came to my rescue.

We can debate the right or wrong of it another time, but the moral of the story is this. Yes there were consequences (the whole school lost recess for a week) but that 8th grader never bothered me again. In fact, we became good friends after that. No words were ever spoken about the incident other than a less-than-heartfelt apology right after the fact, we just understood that whatever that unspoken conflict was between us, it was over now. Life goes on...and we both experienced a fundamental shift in our logic.

***************************************************

The teachers certainly put in more time and do more work than I thought they did. Much more than my teachers ever did. As I recall it was a race for them to beat us out of the parking lot at the end of the say so they didn't get caught in the bus traffic.

Maybe that a perception a lot of us have.

***************************************************

I wish I could say that what needs to be fixed will be easy, and unfortunately a lot does depend on funding. Funding the town may or may not have.

But it is certainly clear that the teachers at SHS are working hard, and improvements are being made.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very good POST!!
Most informative.
Keep it up!!

Dan